The Link Between ADHD & Creativity
You’ve probably heard of attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (more commonly referred to as “ADHD”). This very common mental disorder often causes difficulty focusing, excessive movement, and poor impulse control. But did you know that ADHD may also increase creativity?
Researchers are still working to determine whether there’s a definitive link between ADHD and creativity, but many studies suggest that individuals with ADHD tend to be more creative. There are a few possible explanations for the connection between ADHD and creativity:
- Because people with ADHD often have trouble focusing, they may notice more about their surroundings, which can, in turn, lead to more original ideas.
- Individuals with ADHD tend to be more impulsive and less likely to hold back their words and actions, so they’re also more likely to voice their ideas.
- People with ADHD are often more likely to take risks, which is usually important when pursuing a career in a creative industry.
Fostering Creativity in Children With ADHD
If you have a child with ADHD, you may be wondering what you can do to encourage their creativity. Here are a few helpful tips:
- Provide your child with opportunities to be creative. Try enrolling your child in an extracurricular activity that might interest them, such as music lessons or an art class.
- Acknowledge your child’s creativity in a positive light. People with ADHD are often taught to control their impulses, so chances are good that your child might be intentionally stifling their creativity in an attempt to avoid getting in trouble. So, when you see them doing something creative, praise them for it.
- Give them examples of creative individuals with ADHD. ADHD is often spoken about in a negative light, so it’s important to remind your child that many people with this disorder have been successful. For example, Emma Watson and Jim Carrey have both been open about their ADHD diagnoses.
For More Information
If you think you or your child might have attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder, contact us today. We specialize in treating patients with ADHD, and we’ll be happy to schedule a therapy session at the date and time you choose.
Are you or someone you know in need of support?
If you, a loved one, or a friend could benefit by talking to someone,
help by sharing Core3!
We provide music therapy, counseling,
and coaching services.
Please feel free to reach out today and schedule a complimentary consultation on the benefits of services offered.
We appreciate you!